Sunday, June 3, 2018

Restoration


Today has been a blustery June Sunday by the sea. The air is chilly, more October than June. John went to the beautiful and historic Anglican Church. I did not. I have no place in my life for organized religion in particular, or any religion. People can believe what they want in that regard, and if it brings them a sense of tranquility, then lovely.
I, instead, went for a bicycle ride across the causeway to the Historic Gardens in Annapolis Royal. There, I went for a peaceful walk in its seventeen pristine acres. The rhododendrons were magnificent in their vibrant and varied colours: mauve, purple, red and white. The towering trees offered a respite from the biting wind. 
A gate, latched shut to keep the deer from intruding, leads to an outer trail along an ancient dyke. It had been built centuries before to keep the sea out and the salt marsh fertile. I walked slowly along its grassy circular path. I breathed in the salty air. This was meditation enough to restore my soul. 
The wind flared my nostrils clean and expunged fatigue from my heavy lungs. My pace was measured. However, the cycle home along the river shore was against the east wind. It was both challenging and invigorating. As I climbed the second to last hill, I passed wild lupins, purple. pink and white on both sides of the path. Out of breath and nearly home again, I felt cleansed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Constructive ones preferred.