Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Sighting


Today is the first anniversary of the day we took legal possession of the Captain’s House. The tide was high this morning when we got up. As I was performing the daily ritual of morning stretches, I glanced out and saw a seal swimming lazily off our shore. But in the distance I noticed something else. It was a large creature cresting and diving repeatedly further out in the water. I watched transfixed. It had a fin. 
Back and forth it came for a very long time. I suspect it was our first sighting of a dolphin. We have heard they do appear from time to time. Of course, when I finally went to get my camera and had it at the ready, I stood on our deck for a very long time in the cool breeze. I hoped that I might catch it in the lens. Eventually I did. But it was not one of its more fulsome arches. And it appears but a speck in the resulting photo. I waited… and waited. An eagle flew by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Constructive ones preferred.